Skip to main content

Leave Resolutions Alone. Make Personal Business Plans!

This one is a little longer, but I promise to change your world and how you think in 5-6 minutes (unless you're just a slow reader).


No team goes into a press conference saying, "We're going to win next week" and leaves it at that.  They don't just make a resolution to win.  They develop a game plan.

When football teams prepare for an upcoming game, a great deal of film review, study and analysis is conducted.  A team needs to review their performance in recent weeks and identify what's working and what needs improvement.  They look at the film of the upcoming opponent to find their strengths and pick out any/all weaknesses that can be exploited.  They heavily study how the opponent's plays develop and how individual performers execute.  They adjust their game plan accordingly.  To do anything short would be a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I have a few questions.
Why do you make resolutions without a means to accomplish them? 
Why do you promise to do things, for which you have no knowledge or script to make them happen?  
Have you wondered why you get so easily frustrated when you see no progress and why you're so quick to abandon the project altogether?

You've heard them all before: "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail", "Don't just talk about it, BE about it", "Once you know better, you should DO better".

I'll say it in three words:  MAKE A PLAN!
Make a game plan to follow, in preparation for the coming year (or project).  Don't just say you're going to do something.  Spell out HOW you're going to make it happen.
Make (and this is important) QUANTIFIABLE goals that you can follow, measure, analyze and track.  

Each year, I put together what I call a "Personal Business Plan" and I add a theme as a subtitle like "Nifty At Fifty", "The Weight Is Over", etc.  That made it fun and gave me a mission.  As a result, I've enjoyed success in many parts of my life over the years.




"So, Kenny, how exactly DO I make a measurable goal?"   Well I'm glad you asked.

Don't say, "I'm going to lose some weight".  Make a realistic goal and identify exactly HOW you will do it.  Don't say, "I'm going to work out and eat healthy".  That's nice, but what does that consist of?  Take a look at one of my line items for 2019, which happens to be about health/weight (Yaaay):

Goal #2:  Lose 50 lbs. by June 30; 100 lbs. by December 28
  1. Workout 6 days/week (Alternate:  Upper, Lower & Aerobic) at maximum levels.
  2. Eat correctly 6 days/week (eat sensibly on Day #7) per BFL Plan.  Drink 10+ glasses of water daily.
  3. Avoid eating after 7 p.m. (8 p.m. is the absolute cut-off).
  4. Avoid pop, sugar & fried foods.  Reduce “white” foods (flour-based, rice, potatoes, etc.)
  5. Walk 10,000+ steps per day (verify with pedometer).
  6. Track vital stats with BP Monitor & Blood Glucose Testing Device. Review with physician.
  7. Take medications as prescribed, daily.

OMG - 100 lbs in a year?  That's a lot!  I've NEVER lost that much before, Kenny.  I don't think I can even lose 50 lbs. in one year. 

The HELL you can't!  People do it all the time!  Every item listed beneath that goal can be accomplished, should you choose to do them.  They're all realistic, if you decide you're going to do them.  But this is my list.  Remember, never plan to do something you have no intentions to do.

If you say you don't have time to work out, ask yourself how much time you spend on the internet, watching TV, lounging around, partying, etc.  I used to get up at 4 a.m. and get a good 60-90 minutes in on the internet.  That time could easily have been spent in the gym (Even if you don't have a gym membership, you can perform calisthenics at home. You can get out and walk/run).  I blew my own opportunity(ies).

I use the Body For Life plan, which I won't detail in THIS blog.  But it requires that I work out 6 days a week and eat in accordance with what I need to keep my heart healthy, prevent/manage diabetes and reduce the risk of stroke. I can make it to the gym.  I just have to plan accordingly and stick to it.

Bottom line, every single one of the aforementioned is achievable.  You just have to want it.

Admittedly, the last two years were derailed by injuries, health scares and personal tragedies, but I don't blame them.  I blame myself for ALLOWING them to keep me from doing what I knew was right.  I've been an emotional wreck for two solid years.  I had moments when I thought the ship would right itself and it didn't.  When it DID, it didn't last.  I have to make it happen!

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.  So let's wrap this up before the New Year countdown begins:
  1. Identify your needs (or areas of opportunity).
  2. Make your goal.  Decide what it is you truly want to make a reality.
  3. Plan how.  Lay out a list of steps that you can actually measure.
  4. Do it.  No simpler words can I offer.  Put it into action and let nothing stop you. 
  5. Review your accomplishments daily/weekly/monthly. 
  6. Adjust as necessary and STAY THE COURSE
If you fall short on any given day, don't be discouraged.  Ask yourself what got in the way.  If you can control it, do so.  If you can't, work around it.  But no matter what, DO NOT GIVE UP!

You can also tell others in your circle or household to develop a support system.  if they know what you're working towards, they can help keep you accountable.

If you need help setting a plan up, reach out to me (Zoot580@hotmail.com).

I'll keep you all posted on how these things are working for me throughout the year.
Besides, I can't have you running laps if you think I'm on the sideline eating Twinkies now.  Can I?

Oh and this year's motto? Simple: "No Excuses: Make It Happen".  If it's hurting me or just isn't there for me, let it go and move on.  If I really want it, make sure I need it.  If I really need it, fight for it.

I'll see you in 2019.  Happy New Year...                                                 ...I love you all!



Like what you read? Feel free to subscribe.  
Leave a comment and tell me how you feel or what you'd like to see in future posts!

Comments

  1. Okay, so I better see you sticking to your plan, no more pizza or fries lol
    Be happy, I gave up smoking, have a new grandbaby coming any day now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a deal. But I'm not gonna lie and say it's completely gone from my diet.
      And congratulations on your smoking cessation victory and the new baby. Now, who am I talking to? lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do