Skip to main content

Photography: My Journey To A New World




Photography:  My Journey To A New World

It all began with a going-away party for co-workers back in 2013.  After dinner, we went upstairs to the club where I took pictures of everyone dancing, co-workers and others.  During this time, I was confronted by a dancer who had his own club, wanting to know where he could see the pictures.  After connecting on Facebook, he tagged other party attendants who saw my work and reached out to me.  Before I knew it, I was asked to shoot other events including an engagement party and family portraits.

Catching the salsa dancers



This was all so unexpected and happened rather quickly for me because I was busy focusing on a possible transition from 20+ year Environmental, Safety & Health Director to private EHS Consultant and Trainer.  I left my job and realized that I was tired of working in factories, trying to convince management teams to do what they already knew, only to be the center of (attempted) blame or question when they had a serious accident or citation as a result of not listening.  Despite their pointed fingers I was always ready with a memo, agenda, audit, email or meeting notes that indicated that certain issues needed attention.  Still, producing an "I Warned You" document got old.  I didn't need vindication, I needed people to listen so there would be no resulting problems.  As a consultant and trainer I could make my own schedule, decide with whom I would work and at what capacity.  I could conduct an audit, generate a report, conduct training and leave it to them to decide what they would and wouldn't do.  Pay me for doing what I do best, then it's up to you.  Unfortunately, being a one-man-show made it difficult to compete with the companies that provided the same services on a much larger scale.  It's not that I couldn't deliver the same, but I was up against organizations with established names, accolades from well-known clientele and full teams of experienced personnel, specializing in various fields of safety.  I didn't shut down my company but I found that focusing on this new world of photography was immediate and much more fun.

Capturing the Equestrian event (my favorite sports photo)



Working with a very close friend and mentor (which I highly recommend for anyone interested in serious photography), I accompanied him in shooting a charity race, gospel concert, the New Albany Classic (concert, outdoor fair and equestrian event) and other sports event.  During this time, my work was featured on the front page of the Columbus Post, four times.

On Set Of My First Music Video Shoot



My first big challenge came when I met someone at a networking event.  She was a successful event coordinator who saw what I did for a living and asked me if I was interested in photographing her daughter's party which was actually a surprise marriage proposal.

She never saw it coming!


The party was a huge success and resulted in additional service requests from party-goers who got a chance to see some sample shots as I transferred them wirelessly from my camera to my phone, then to hers.  They gave me great compliments and hired me right then and there for upcoming events of their own.

But the lady that hired me wasn't finished with me.  She asked me to photograph her daughter's wedding.  Wait.  WHAT??  WEDDING?!?!?!? I had never done a wedding before and felt that it was way out of my league.  This was the most important event of her daughter's life and she wanted to entrust it to me, a novice.  Now I know that every surgeon has that inaugural moment when they put someone under the knife, but this was like having a woman ask an inexperienced doctor to perform his first Triple-bypass on her own daughter!  When I asked why she wanted me for the task, she told me that she loved my work and knew that I would do a great job (and she knew I had to start somewhere).  For the record, I'm forever indebted to her for a gesture of faith that gave me the confidence to pursue photography.

I reluctantly agreed and called my mentor in, as he had several wedding shoots under his belt.  When the day arrived, I was operating on little sleep because I spent most of the night before, worrying about how I might screw things up.  Even with my mentor present, I was hoping that I could put him in position to get all of the key shots, as mine were probably going to be terrible.  That morning, he dropped an even bigger bomb on me.  He said he was not going to give me any instructions because I had done enough research and had met with the pastor.  He would be working FOR me and under MY direction.  C'mon, man!!! I need you to tell ME what to do!!!

Seeing that he was not going to change his mind, I slowly exhaled and accepted his decision - not that I had a choice.  Momma bird was going to push me out of the nest today.  I slipped away and asked the pastor for a private moment, knowing that time was short.  I told him that I was shooting my first wedding and terrified of making a mess of things and asked if he would pray for me.  He closed the door, took my hand and gave one of the most inspirational, mind-blowing prayers I'd ever heard in my life.  Then he firmly gripped my shoulders, looked me in the eyes and said, "Now go out there and do what you already know how to do.  Well!"

Shooting my first wedding.  Trying to get creative with church space.

That was all I needed.  I went out into the church with confidence and eagerness to take my game to the next level.  I knew that the fundamentals were there and the only thing that could stop me was myself.

The wedding was a success and I couldn't wait to get more practice!

Be careful what you wish for.

That evening, I got a call from my son's friend, who I had already photographed with his girlfriend, asking if I could come shoot his wedding, scheduled (noooooooo) the day AFTER my first wedding!  No better practice than the very next day.

The ceremony had barely gotten underway before the wedding attendants left their seats and crowded the wedding couple and Officiant with raised phones, recording the event.  The wedding went without a hitch until one of the bridesmaids backed into the Unity Candle, which set her hair on fire!  Thank God they put it out in time.  I told my mentor what happened and he asked me if I "got the shot".  I told him that I was too busy running for the nearby fire extinguisher.  We laughed as he told me that a true photographer wouldn't have missed such an opportunity.   I guess safety is just too deep in my system.


In time, I joined several photography groups in the Columbus area, happening upon several group members in my travels.  Most of them would be met during my practice outings at various Metro Parks throughout the city.

Once upon a time, I would never have noticed a Water Lilly.


I found myself enjoying this new "hobby" more and more and watched and read everything I could get my hands on.  Youtube videos, books, webinars, online and personal training sessions, I did it all.  I think my greatest confidence boost came when my mentor told me that I didn't need him as much as I thought, commending my growth and obsession with the "photography bug".  He told me it was time for me to handle things on my own.

Baker Park, Frederick, MD at sunset.

She allowed me to capture while playing guitar in Rising Park, Lancaster, OH.


At the suggestion of friends and satisfied customers, I decided to make my services available to everyone.

My second music video shoot with recording artist, Tim Andrews.

MojoFlo lead singer, Amber Knicole going airborne in concert.


Using Long Exposure on a Ferris wheel.


Photographing the attendants of a family reunion.



I secretly told her to kiss him on his ear at my signal.


Capturing the World's Largest Gavel in Columbus, OH at sunset.


The beautiful Supermoon.

Overhead Christmas Photography of the Columbus Commons.




After the wedding, we stopped at a private home, jumped out, shot on their lawn, then ran off!


Three of my boys with my friend's farm tools at sunset.


My favorite niches? I've read that each photographer should specialize (or focus) on three.  In that case, I'd have to say Sports, Concerts and Landscape photography.  I've tried them all and enjoy them as well: Birding, Wedding, Portraiture, Trick photography, Macro, Food, etc.  I try to keep myself fresh in every one because you never know when and where your services will be needed.

Am I a "professional" photographer?  5 years in and I get that term a lot, but I don't see myself as such.  I like the term, "Practicing Photography Enthusiast" myself.  I have a lot of work and additional studying to do and there are so many things I'd like to accomplish.

Today, I look back on my early work and wish I had done many things differently, but that's the growing process.  I always want to do better.  To BE better... 
Not better than other photographers - better than the man I was 5 years ago.  Better than the photographer I was, yesterday.

As far as where I fare in the world of photography, I just want to be different.  I want to be VERY different.  I've been complimented on my so-called unique vision and I'm glad to know that people recognized it.  I want to break the rules, turn heads and embrace my unique eye.  As I research more and more photography, I find that a task like that is a difficult one, but not impossible.

Every time I grab my girl/camera, "Carmella" (my first camera was named "Carmen"), I know that she and I are going to have fun, no matter what we do.  That's the goal, to love what I do so I never have to consider it being "work".  I'd like to think I'm finished with "working for a living".  If I can earn a decent income by "Capturing Moments For All Time", as said on my ZootShoot Photography website, fantastic.  Knowing that others get the same joy that I do will always make it worth the while.

Besides, there's something fun about getting paid to shoot people for a living without fear of prison time.

I hope you choose to stick around as I continue this journey.  We'll see where it goes...

I wasn't macro shooting, but I got the desired photo! (Minus the stings)


This photo of my food was later used as an advertisement for the restaurant!

So many beautiful spots in Columbus for couples to photograph.

A Behind-The-Scenes look at how I created my smoke with lighting.

It wasn't easy, but here's a selfie of me with my "first" love.



Like what you read? Leave a comment!
And feel free to subscribe and spread the word.
Let me know if there's any particular subject that you'd like me to cover in future posts!

Comments

  1. Truly a man of MANY TALENTS!!!
    AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Adrienne! Just trying to enjoy life and share it with others.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do