Skip to main content

We Need Love, But What Does LOVE Need?



Ok, it's Valentine's Day and I'm still laughing at all of the people that I saw rushing into the Dollar Tree store to find last-minute V-Day gifts for their significant other.  Wow.  I could go so many different places with that, all revolving around "going through the motions", but I won't.  Maybe it's something I'll cover another day.


So while sitting in the parking lot, I happened to catch this couple walking back to their car, not together, and one walking much faster than the other.  Of course, the woman was in the lead (Y'all are always the pissed ones.  Yeah, I said it!  And don't go telling me that us guys are always screwing up.  You all are just quick to anger, for the littlest things!!!  So much for me running for President in 2024, now that this is in print.).  The guy was trying to talk, or plead about something, but she was NOT hearing it or having it.  I usually mind my own, but curiosity made me reach to turn down my radio to find out why he was walking with outstretched hands.  I didn't get there in time, but it did remind me of something I learned years ago, which is the reason I decided to write this today.

I was once told that in order for a relationship to survive and thrive it must have two things: Compromise and Communication.

Compromise, and communication.

I remember thinking to myself that several givens went unmentioned.  Things like Passion, Chemistry, Commonality and Sex...            ... sex so earth-shakingly intense that the child conceived as a result is born with a mild concussion.

None of these things, just Compromise...              ...and Communication.  Let's discuss the latter first.  And remember, what I'm about to say should already be self-explanatory.


If you don't communicate your desires, likes/dislikes, needs, questions & concerns, etc you will constantly find yourself frustrated with the other party not knowing how to address or accommodate you.  That guy with the outstretched hands? It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was in "What did I do?" mode. His ignorance was sad, but her unwillingness to tell him was even worse.  I know this sounds a little too simple for some, and yeah, I guess it is.  But TALK!  That's all you need to do.  Let them know what's going on with you.  This doesn't necessarily mean that both of you will agree on the topic of discussion, but you don't want to walk away not knowing.   Me, I'm not over-analytical, but if I go too long without input or understanding, my mind starts to wander and wonder. Too often, I've been my own worst enemy, convincing myself of things that weren't true.  Believe you-me, that can be quite embarrassing as it has been, time and time again.  Still, I may not love the truth, but I can work with it.

See how easy that was? Next point.

So what do you do when you communication occurs? And what if you have different positions on the matter? This is where the other half comes into play: Compromise. You must be willing to meet that person somewhere in the middle, if you know that's what they desire (or detest).  Telling someone to "deal with it because that's who you are and you're going to change" is NOT the solution and if you ask me, quite insensitive.  So you don't like romance movies, but she loves them.  Take one for the team.  Sit with her and watch a few movies and, this is important, pay attention (stay off of your phone).  Hold her when the tears fall (you just got plus points).  Discuss the movie with her after.  Big Daddy Kane knows what he's talking about when he raps the line, "Forget about "Goodfellas" and take her to see "Ghost"". 

I didn't watch the show "Desperate Housewives" much, but I did during the opening season.  I caught it every now and then after losing interest, but I did catch episode that really applies here.  If you remember the character, Bree van de Kamp (Marcia Cross), you remember that she was the show's uptight, obsessive-compulsive, perfectionist that was more concerned with public image than what was really going on in her personal life.  One of the craziest moments was when she discovered that her husband was not sexually responsive to her because his secret fetish was sadomasochism (in short, giving or deriving pleasure from acts of infliction).  She was shocked and insulted because not only had she not known that her marriage wasn't as perfect as she believed and displayed, but he never trusted her or felt comfortable enough to come out with the truth about it.  Of course, being the "perfect, all-American, picket fence wife that she was, Bree (despite her disgust in the practice) radically changed her approach in the bedroom to accommodate him.  That look on her face the first time was classic.

Passion, Chemistry and all of the other things are very important.  But look, you need compromise and communication to make them work.  I can't say it enough.  Most of you know the 5 "Love Languages":  (1) Receiving Gifts, (2) Quality Time, (3) Words of Affirmation, (4) Acts of Service and (5) Physical Touch.  If you can't figure them out, then you need that person to tell you. And once you know, you have to be willing to provide those things.  If that's not you, be willing to sacrifice and again, take one for the team.

I look back on many failed relationships of friends and after considerable discussion and thought, I found these two to most often be the common denominator.  I know many will say that infidelity and financial difficulty are the two most destructive reasons, but if you give me a case in either category, with enough information, I can find where the need for one of "the Two Cs" could have helped prevent or reduce the impact of them.


So please (and I just can't say it enough), talk.  If you're upset with one-another, then go to your neutral corners and come back when you can do so without shouting (or God forbid, putting hands on each other, unless it's for creating that concussed baby).

And learn what makes each other tick, if not sick.  If you ain't doin' it, you'll ruin it (I made that up, just now.  Gotta put that in a song).  Show them that you care because you are WILLING to do any and everything to make them smile, wiggle or speak in ancient Cimmerian and reach for things that ain't even there!  I promise you'll both be better off.


And remember my friends, my word is never the gospel.  You can take this post with a grain of salt, if you like.  Just know that I've seen success and failures in my own travels down the road of romance.  And each time, I mean EVERY time, Compromise and/or Communication, or the lack thereof, led to our heaven or our demise.

I hope you only know happiness and harmony from this day forth...

...and oh yes, Happy Valentine's Day!



Like what you read? Leave a comment!
And feel free to subscribe and spread the word.
Let me know if there's any particular subject that you'd like me to cover in future posts!

Comments

  1. Great insight and inspiration to improve our relationships❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Adrienne! If anyone knows how to love, it's you and G.C.!!!!

      Delete
  2. Yes to all this! Many people want a relationship but don't want to do the work to make it thrive and grow. I've witnessed it countless times and currently witnessing two pairs of friends who are going through divorces at the exact same time (I'm not even kidding in the slightest). While the individual details vary, still some of the same problems could have been avoided if both sets communicated and compromised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, like I said before, "my past downfalls have been one or the other or the combination of both". It's just sad that we all learn the best lessons long after we needed them.

      Thanks, Whitney!

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope it's of use to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do