Skip to main content

At Long Last, The DNA Results Are In! I Am From...



At Long Last, The DNA Results Are In!  I Am From...

More than 15 years have passed since the day I was approached by a complete stranger on the street, asking me if I was "from home" (if you're new to my blog or simply missed this post, the story can be found here in the story, Africa: MORE Than Just Hollywood's "Black Panther" [Pt. 2 of 2]).  She was the first of over 50 (yes, 50) people who either thought I was from, or told me that I looked like someone from Ghana, Africa.

I didn't give it much thought in the beginning, but as time progressed and I met more and more Ghanaians who closely resembled my own family members, I really began to wonder if it was more than just coincidence.  Especially since people from other countries in Africa supported this comparison.  What's funnier, is not a single person believed I looked like I was from any country other than Ghana.

Last year, I decided I should find out for myself during my talks with Siima, my good friend in Uganda.  Siima helped me gain an appreciation and love for Africa and particularly her country.  She taught me so much about the rich heritage of my ancestors, current practices, cultural differences, religious beliefs, food, animal life, entertainment, fashion, politics, etc. Through her, I was able to sift through the lies and stereotypes that Hollywood and other ignorant individuals led me to believe.  She also convinced me that I should learn my true beginnings before arbitrarily making travel plans to see various "hot spots" frequented by everyone else.

Well, earlier this month, my son and his friend gifted me with the AncestryDNA kit which I promptly submitted for DNA extraction and analysis.  The results arrived yesterday and of course I contacted my friend so that we could have our own "Origin Reveal Party" (hey, you all do it for gender, might as well have one for my humble beginnings).  And it was only fair that Siima be the first to know, in appreciation for all of her time, input and support.

We were BOTH surprised by the results...

Yes, I am of Ghanaian decent, as we surmised, but it is only a smaller part of my genetic make-up.  The majority of my design is actually comprised of the Cameroon, Congo & Southern Bantu Peoples by a whopping 43%!





My ethnicity estimate is as follows:

43% Cameroon/Congo/Southern Bantu
28% Benin/Tongo
11% Ghana/Ivory Coast
7%   Mali
5%   England/Wales/Western Europe
3%   Nigeria

A few others that make 1% include, but aren't limited to, Spain, Native American, etc.

Siima shared in my excitement and we both sighed with an exhalation of relief as a 15+ year old question was finally provided an answer.

Initially, I must admit I was a tad disappointed; not in being Cameroonian, but because I had led myself to believe that I was Ghanaian without considering any other possibility.  Siima promptly reminded me that nothing was ever certain and that my conclusion was the result of the people I'd met along the way, ergo my fixation with Ghana.  Then she immediately filled my mind and heart with adventurous wonder as she shared some of the beautiful aspects of Cameroon and Congo (does this woman's knowledge base ever END?? WOW!  Love me some Siima).



She told me about the beautiful land, their sports and music (along with several artists I should find enjoyable), introducing me to the genre called Makossa, a very popular style of the urban music scene.  I must say, I'm already digging this music, baby.  Gonna put my own "Cameroon Choons" collection together soon enough.  In fact, I'm groovin' to a fierce Makossa mix as I type this. 



Looks like I'm gonna have to learn some French as well...

So now a new project has begun: Research of countries, of which I'm completely unfamiliar, but have already fully embraced.  I'm sure you've guessed by now that there will be a future post about Cameroon and Congo and the beauty that lies therein.  I've already shared the results with my siblings and added these places to my travel itinerary.  Of course, there is now a need to come up with some serious money to pay my debts before I can hope to save up to fly the friendly skies.

Downtown Yaounde (Capital of Cameroon) at night.


And there you have it.  Ask me who or what I am and I can now say with confidence...
"I am Cameroonian American and I'm damn proud of it!"




Now, if only I can find some Tshirts in my size to wear during the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.


But don't worry, my Ghanaian cousins, I still claim and rep Ghana, along with Benin and Tongo.  Cause that's what makes me who I am, baby...

Like what you read? Leave a comment!
And feel free to subscribe and spread the word.
Let me know if there's any particular subject that you'd like me to cover in future posts!



Comments

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do