Skip to main content

EOM Check-In: Health Update (May 1)


Hello everyone!  It's time for my End-Of-Month Health Update for April and I'm pleased to tell you that I'm still alive and kicking!  This one is going to be a bit longer because you know I had surgery one month ago, on this day.  So I need to explain a few things.

It's been about a week since they discharged me from the Nursing & Rehabilitation Center and I can't begin to express how glad I am to be home!  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all that they did for me, providing expert Physical Therapy, continuous medical attention along with well-balanced meals at consistent intervals (and more important, before 7 p.m.).  But staring at those four hospital room walls and other patients for the majority of the day while sleeping in a medical bed were definitely not my cup of (sweet iced) tea.


For those that don't know, I elected to stay at an ECF (Extended Care Facility) because in addition to Total Knee Replacement surgery, I had to continue my physical therapy for my shoulder, neck and back, which made it quite difficult to use a walker.  I also thought it best to spend some considerable time by myself so I could take inventory on my life: where I was, what I'd lost, what I'd accomplished (or the lack thereof) and where I felt I was headed vs what my current efforts indicated.  The time there was extended because I developed cellulitis in the lower outside area of my shin and calf, which hardened the skin, requiring additional medical treatment.

I also gained 2 or 3 pounds over the course of my 4-week stay, which to me, wasn't bad.  Considering the fact that I ate double portions (at my request because the meal sizes were ridiculously small, trust me) each meal and was limited to minimal physical activity on my PT off days, I'd say I did alright.

After surgery, I spent 3 days in the hospital before being transferred to the ECF.  There, I began with the wheelchair and walker then quickly transitioned to zero-assistance movement, bypassing a walking cane, which shocked everyone in the final week.  I was taking the stairs with alternate steps for 3 consecutive round trips, each session.  Between that and the home health assessment where they observed me executing normal day-to-day activities in my own home, I was granted parole (oops, I meant discharge) two weeks prior to their suggested release.

Bruised and swollen, but healing quite nicely.

So yes, I'm home now and working hard to progress quickly, but carefully.  I give myself another week before I return to the gym to hit the treadmill and squat machine (low-to-no weight and high reps) so I can build up strength in my knee and stabilizing muscles.  With any luck, I can burn some serious calories in the process.  I hope to be able to run within the next 3 weeks so I can start the weight loss process and prepare my body to train for longer distance running.  Remember, it's my goal for late 2020 to run a 5K, something I haven't been able to do since college (Buying my first car was awesome, but things really change for the worst physically, when you no longer have to walk everywhere).

So bear with me as I attempt to lay it on thick in the coming weeks.  I confess that the recent celebrity deaths of John Singleton and Luke Perry (ages 51 and 52, respectively - I'm 51), as a result of strokes, have me completely unnerved.  I have a life-long anxiety of living in a paralytic state because strokes run high in my family.  As far back as I know, everyone on my father's side (except my Aunt) died of stroke and its complications.  I'm sorry people, I am in morbid fear of the thought of being trapped in my own body.  Look, I simply can't live like that.  So I'm going to do everything in my power, from this point on to prevent that from happening.  This includes returning to healthier eating and living habits (goodbye, my beloved Twinkies *sob*):
  1. Start and finish each day with 15-minute meditation and 45-minute stretch.
  2. Workout 6 days/week (Alternate Upper, Lower Strength & Aerobic), maximum levels.
  3. Eat correctly 6 days/week (sensibly on Day #7).  10+ glasses of water, daily.
  4. Avoid eating after 7 p.m. (8 p.m. is the absolute cut-off).
  5. Avoid pop, sugar & fried foods.  Reduce "white" foods (flour-based, rice, potatoes, etc.).
  6. Walk 10,000+ steps per day (verify with pedometer). 
  7. Track vital stats with BP Monitor, Blood Glucose Testing Monthly Measurements.
  8. Take vitamins and medications as prescribed, daily.
  9. Get 7+ hours of sleep/night, using CPAP.
  10. Keep skin moisturized and wear compression socks, daily.

Thank you all for your never-ending love and support.  It means the world to me.
I'll see you again in 30 days with a new and (God-willing) impressive update!


Like what you read? Leave a comment!
And feel free to subscribe and spread the word.
Let me know if there's any particular subject that you'd like me to cover in future posts!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do