Skip to main content

EOM Check-In: Health Update (Aug 1)



Boy, have I got news for this month's health check-in for the month of July!
Let's get right to it (oh, and hello)...


The new knee is performing very well, despite me not having full sensation on the outer right side of the shin (that will come back, in time).  I still have difficulty standing up from lower-seated positions like deep sofas, but that will also come in time and with continued hard work.  I started this month with a Grade 1 Calf Muscle tear, so it was more about exercise through rehab.  The doc said the "clicking" in my knew knee parts would fix itself, but we still have to figure out all of the grinding sensations in my OTHER replaced knee. They're supposed to last approximately 15 years before needing replacement and it's only been a little over 3.  That won't stop me from "puttin' in work" though.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm older, larger and weaker than I was when I had the first knee replacement.  But I'm not using that as an excuse.  In fact, I LIKE those odds.  It's my body's way of telling me I can't do it (and again, if you know me, you know not to tell me something like that).  I've lost 5 friends last month and I don't know my expiration date, but I won't take it laying down, you can best b'lee dat!

The shoulder and back continue to give me problems, but we press on.  My vision has sadly gotten worse.  No one knows why, so I continue to struggle with blur and diminished brightness.  Hopefully the doctors will figure it out.  We'll see (pun intended).


Ok, time to cheer you all up.
July was about change...  "Radical transformation".

I introduced two new machines to my exercise routine: The Rowing Machine and the dreaded Seated Elliptical (trust me, ain't no joke with either ONE, ESPECIALLY when you customize the elliptical program for "Utter Madness").


And for the home, I also got a 30" Adjustable Fitness Aerobic Step!


Did I mention that I RAN for the first time in over 10 years last month?
End result with all the changes...        You ready?  (Drum Roll, pleeeeez)

As of July 31, 11:59 p.m....

EXACTLY 20 POUNDS LOST IN JULY!!
Taking my bow and hoping to not pass gas.

August brings one more "not so" new challenge.  I'm going to reintroduce the Body For Life principles I learned from Bill Phillips' 12-month program about 15 years ago.  It's going to be tougher, being in a different state of physical being, but as you all know, I refuse to lay down and take what life has to throw at me.  

Workout plan for Days 1, 2 & 3.  Sunday is my free day.

Each routine will feature a variety of exercises, focusing on different muscle groups.  But this isn't about "bulking up".  I'm maximizing my muscle potential in strength and endurance, while reducing fat.  The meal plan has changed as well, as mentioned in last month's post.  Wish me luck.  Gonna need some new NuBalance cross trainer shoes, by the way.

In other news...
I HAVE accepted the fact that this is a battle I am fighting alone and to be blunt, I really don't care anymore.  I've pretty much adopted the philosophy of Dennis Haysbert's character, Pedro Cerrano in the movie "Major League 2":  In the time between the two movies, Cerrano, the team's always-angry slugger, converted to an unknown religion, praying to the god "Jobu".  As a result, he became quite docile, even smiling and laughing as his performance dwindled, often complimenting pitchers for striking him out.  Later, in the playoffs, he had a moment of clarity, realizing that the team desperately needed a home run.  He stood at the plate, choked up on the bat and muttered to his deity, "Jobu... I go to you. I stick up for you. And you no help me now... I say fuck you Jobu. I do it myself."

BAM!  HOME RUN!

You know what? That's me nowadays.  Forgetting the world and doing it by myself...

...but I ain't EVAH saying that to GOD!

See y'all next month...


For immediate notification of my future posts, subscribe to my page!
And feel free to leave a comment, share what you like and look through the archived posts for more of my crazy adventures...

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do