Skip to main content

EOM Check-In: Health Update

Greetings, my friends.

If you've been following me since my first blogs (or have looked back through them), you might remember my December 31 post, "Leave Resolutions Alone: Make Personal Business Plans!"

In it, I gave some ideas on how to develop measurable goals that you can follow and ultimately quantify your achievements.  I also promised to keep you up to date on my progress so you know that I'm sticking to my OWN goals.  So here is my End Of Month Check-In.

Well, I've got good news and I've got good news...

1. This blog post will be SHORT (for a change)!
2. Since my first post (just shy of 30 days ago), I've lost 24 pounds!!!

I just came from the doctor and she is VERY pleased with my accomplishments.

My journey is different than most, in that I am trying to lose weight in preparation for total knee replacement surgery, among other reasons.  I've also suffered a setback after sustaining injury last month that kept me from my traditional workouts.  So it's more of a dietary accomplishment than extreme physical activity.

I know you want to know what I did and remember, everyone's system is different:

First and foremost, I was taken off of a medication with a side-effect of weight gain.  This was the biggest change because I recently gained 50 pounds and it wasn't from lack of trying.  Second, I increased my walking, despite the knee pain.  This included store shopping, library visits and trips up and down the stairs, when I would normally call one of my sons to bring me things like a glass of water.  Speaking of water, I increased my intake while significantly reducing my pop (yes, I said "POP") and juice.  On average, I drink about 100 ounces of water, or about 3 liters, each day.  That includes about 20 oz before bedtime.  As a result, I add an extra nightly prayer to NOT dream of waterfalls.  I've cut down on my greasy food, especially the fried stuff and make a lot more stews in the pressure cooker with plenty of vegetables.  Smaller portions, no second helpings.  Finally, I am using my CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine to help me get a full night's sleep.  CPAPs are primarily for people suffering with Sleep Apnea disorder (snore like hell).  It increases the air pressure in your throat to prevent your airway from collapsing when you inhale.

There are other minor things like shoveling snow, walking around the house during commercials, doing squats when you can, etc.  Hey, they all add up.  And best of all, thankfully, I've been cleared to get back into my upper and lower extremity strength-training workouts and cardio, effective next week!

Well, I promised to keep this short (if this qualifies), so I'll stop here.
I just wanted to follow-up, as I said I would and remind you that you can do it if you stick to it!  
I believe in you.  Tell me what you're up to and how, if possible, I can help.

God bless and I'll see you in three days for Bloguary!!!



Comments

Most Viewed Posts (Last 30 Days)

The Bobby DeBarge (aka The Boring DeBacle) Story - My Take On It

Tribute To A Friend And A Friendship: Sam Hasapis (R.I.P.)

Woman, I Value You. I Love You.

Father, It Is Finished: A Promise To Daddy

Meeting Chante Moore (Pt 1): Things Idiots (Meaning Me) Do